Basic Spica questions from a rookie...

  My '74 Spider is the first Spica car I've had, so
I'm obviously at the very beginning of the learing
curve with regard to this fuel injection system.  This
is probably a dumb question, but what the heck....
  I took the car to get Va. emissions done and they do
a two speed idle test - once at 1500 and once at 2500.
 The 1500 rpm test was ok but at 2500 the car failed
CO.  I'm currently looking through a number of Spica
books and manuals that I've borrowed but there is one
thing I can't find in any of them so far.  On my pump
there is a three position lever and a spring that fits
in a notch to hold the lever in one of the three
positons.  None of the books explain what this is or
show it in any of the photos.  What is it and does it
have anything to do with my rich running condition at
high speed?
Thanks
Bryan Carter