164S Terminal Velocity Redux

In ad7-1370 Professional Speeder reports reaching an indicated 155 in a 164
S, which he says after checking the speedometer via cruise control and
highway markers (and a wrist-watch? He didn't say) was an actual 147.22001
mph. (Ah, five digit decimal precision - - )

He then writes "I recall a recent thread on the terminal velocity of 164s but
do not recall the definitive results of that thread. I would like to know if
the above test results fall above or below the "technical limitations" of the
cars top speed."

The thread started at 18:38:30  (-0600) on 08 Feb 1999 (you want precision?)
when Bernie Zelazny mentioned 158 mph in his suffix-unspecified 164. (in
AD7-458)

I had responded on that occasion that "on the initiative of Gianni Marin, the
Editor of "Gente Motori", Fiat approved a go-for-broke record run of a 164 at
Bonneville. The car was prepared at Fiat R & D in Detroit by Don Black, who
accompanied the car and Marin to the salt flats. The car made a best run,
windboosted against the rev limiter at better than 6500 rpm, of 149.412 for a
two-way average of 148.509 mph." I didn't mention at that time, because I
assumed it was a "given", that with Don's background - Portello, Chiti and
all that- and predilections - and Fiat R & D's dynamometer, etc- that should
be what a "blueprinted" but otherwise legitimate 164 could do against a timer.

The thread ran on through AD7-477 before sliding into Cx figures and speeds
for GTV-6s, Spiders, Giulia Supers, etcetera. Rich Wagner ran his sliderules
against factory data and concluded (in AD7-474) that "the 164 base and L
models should reach a speed of 145 MPH without hitting the rev limiter" but
that the shorter-geared S would top-out at 143 against the rev limiter.

So, judge for yourself. Professional Speeder's 147.22001 mph is just 2.19199
mph below Fiat R & D's wind-aided best Bonneville speed, which is close
enough to Rich's calculated difference between the base and the S.
Interesting business. Anyhow, AD7-458 through AD7-477 are there for all to
weigh.

Enjoy,

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.