Re: GTV6 locks & latches

Joe:
Until the Electrical central locking in the Milano and of course now the Remote
locking 164's, the coupes and sedans I've driven 105, 115 and 116 all had the
'safety feature'
of not allowing you to lock the driver's door while it was open.

I used this as a check to make sure my key was in my pocket before locking the
door from the passenger side in my Guilia Sprint GTV then locking the passenger
door (holding the door handle up as I closed it). I recall it was the same in
the GTV-6 (I think, only kept it 11 months) and in the Alfetta GT.  In the
Berlina's and the Milano, I'd just reach through from the back door and then
lock the back door and shut it. Never accidentally locked the keys in an Alfa.

Below I suggest you lubricate you locks that may solve other problems you have
inserting and removing keys.
- --
Best Wishes,
Bernie Bennett
Brenham, TX USA
Area Code Change effective 19 Feb. 2000 Brenham area code 979.

Joe Elliott wrote:

> dustrial arts program that's limited to members of the Future Farmers of
> America only) and held the flame on the latch--sure enough the door closed
> and off I went, only to discover that now I can't lock the door when it's
> open.  I finally took the door apart to see what was going on and I
> couldn't figure it out so I cleaned and greased the lock mechanism and now
> it seems less likely to lock when it's open.  But upon further examination
> it looks as if there's a tab present in the driver's side latch that's not
> in the passenger side latch as if it's supposed to work this way and it
> wasn't "working" before.  Is this correct?  Can none of you GTV6 owners out
> there lock your doors when they're open?  If this is the case then I'm
> fairly pissed off.  At least I won't lock my keys in my car anymore...
>
>   I wouldn't mind so much having to lock the door from the outside with the
> key, except that it's rather difficult to get the key out.  It only comes
> out if I use my thumb to push on the metal bit the key goes into while I
> pull on the key.  Does anyone have a solution to this problem??

Lubrication?

>   And speaking of locks, back when I installed the lock on my rear hatch
> (got tired of sticking my finger in that little hole to open the hatch) it
> worked for about a week and now the button does nothing and I have to use
> the key to open the hatch.  It's a matter of pushing on the key with a bit
> of counter-clockwise pressure.  Just pushing the button does nothing, but
> it doesn't behave like it's locked, it goes about halfway in and won't go
> any further.  And if the key does get turned to the "locked" position it's
> a real bitch to get it back to the "unlocked" position.  I haven't taken
> this one apart yet but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Lubrication?

>   One more thing...What's the key that's all metal with the quadrifoglio on
> it do anyway?

Don't remember that one, too long since I owned a GTV-6.