Re: Spider Interior Lights and Door Chime Help

Ken,

The courtesy lights in the foot wells are operated by switches in the door
jambs.  Look around the door hinges and you should see some little posts
sticking out, which will readily press in if you push them with your finger.
The back of these little posts are a simple switch that grounds the a circuit
and turns on the courtesy lights.  THese switches routinely get dirty and
corroded.  Try some electrical contact cleaner or WD 40  to clean them up, and
it'll likely solve your problem.  Same goes for the door chime (which is more
like a "door buzz" on my '86; don't know how yours should sound).

Note also that the courtesy lights are switches themselves.  They should rock
left to right.  THe center position is automatic, on a timed relay triggered by
the door switches.  If I remember correctly, left is always on, and right is
always off (but it might be vice versa).

The coupler in your glove box was most likely for a map light option.  I don't
remember if the courtesy light in there works unless the running lights are on.

Hal