Re: Buying a used 164

I too have been contemplating the purchase of a 164, however in many of the
ads I have seen, the car, like the one Hooper is looking at, has had its
engine rebuilt at an early stage in its life, generally under 60K miles. Why
is this, when few Milanos seem to have had the same problem? Timing belts
broken ? poor maintenance ? Or a flaw in the engine. My Milano has 120K and
it has never had the valves adjusted. When it was new in 87 it had a recall
and the head gasket was changed and a few other small things done, but since
then only water pump, timing belts, clutch, donuts and steering rack have
been replaced, plus regular maintenance. The motor still purrs and runs like
new. Does the 164 have gremlins in the motor, catalytic converter, stepper
motor and heating eqpt. to cause such problems ? Have many of them been
trashed by previous owners early in their life, or was it endemic to the
early 92/92 models ?
G. Arlen
Milano, 74 GTV, 62 spider.

End of alfa-digest V7 #1360