164S-wary of purchase... (long)

Hello.  I am new to the list, and would like very much to purchase an
Alfa Romeo.  I have been looking into buying a 164S recently, and came
across one decently nearby.  The owner sent me a run-down of the
mechanical history of the car, and I was rather surprised at some of
it.  I have attached it below... If I could get some advise about the
wisdom of purchasing this car from the Alfa Romeo veterans out there, I
would really appreciate it.

Also, not being one to jump into something without much contemplation, I
would like some recommendations as to what kind of Alfa would be good
for a "novice." I am mechanically inclined, but not a pro.  As to the
type of car I want, I can pretty much go anyway.  I just know that I
love the styling and the way these cars drive.  Thanks for your time!!!

Steven

<<Here's the whole story:
The paint and body are in great shape outside of some small scrapes on
the bumper and fairings.  The interior is in good condition although the
leather seats are faded in spots.  The motor is in great shape.  The
front tires are brand new (<500 miles) and the rear tires have 25k miles
but lots of tread. I bought it from Berkeley Toyota in September '97.
I'm not sure how many people owned it before then.

Before selling it to me, Berkeley Toyota:
* Replaced the power steering rack (58k miles, 2/97)
* Replaced the climate control stepper motor (58k, 2/97)
* Replaced the catalytic converter w/aftermarket unit(58k, 8/97)
* Replaced the a/c compressor (58k, 8/96)
* Installed an anti-jam kit under the driver's seat (58k, 2/97)

Since then:
* Completely rebuilt the motor (61k, 10/97):
* Installed all new belts, gaskets, bearings, plugs, pistons/liners,
valve guides, thrust washers, clutch...
* Overhauled the heads
* Rebuilt the trunk hinges, brackets and struts (88k, 5/99)
* Replaced the catalytic converter w/original equip. unit (~103k, 1/00)
* Replaced water pump and timing belt, a/c belt (104k, 2/00)
* Replaced clutch (104k, 2/00)
* Other routine maintenance

I have records for everything above except the major tune-up.  I can get
a copy of this receipt from my mechanic.

Currently:
* One of the 3 studs on top of the left front strut is broken.  It makes
it difficult to align and should be repaired.  I have a written estimate
of $400 to repair it.
* I did not charge the a/c after rebuilding the motor, but it did work
well before then.
* The passenger side mirror is cracked.  There's also a crack on the
passenger side of the windshield that is well away from the driver's
sight-line.
* The driver's seat adjustment is sticky.

I have 2 cars and am moving at the end of the month to an apartment with
no garage or parking, so one needs to go.  It's been a great car, not
trouble-free, but it's in good condition
today.  It's fast, handles well, looks good and is comfortable.>>

End of alfa-digest V7 #1359