Alfa Thump

Hi All

I know this has been covered before, but spring is coming and I am thinking
about (drooling actually) getting my 1979 spider out of winter slumber (it
really is nice having a heated, dry garage attached to the house but it is
also torture knowing that my baby is under the blue cover.)  Bill will soon
get a list of parts I can't source in Canada, but there is a problem that I
haven't been able to cure.  On fast take-offs I get a thumping sound from
the drive train.  It almost sounds and feels like wheel hop and sometimes it
feels like the transmission or driveshaft is hitting the body of car.  I
thought that replacing a kinked exhaust system and new suspension would cure
the problem, but it didn't.  I put a new Stebro exhaust system on the car
and replaced the suspension with Shankle supper sport springs, koni shocks
(yellow) and sway bars.  While under the car my mechanic and I looked at the
usual culprits - transmission mounts, flexible drive-shaft coupling
(whatever that rubber thing is that replace a universal joint) and hanger
bearing (again, whatever it is called) but everything looked and felt good.

There are a few other things to look at and do.

1) Check the engine mounts.

2) Replace the transmission mounts/engine mounts anyway to see if the rubber
bushings have collapsed or at least compressed.

3) Crank up the shocks to full dampening (any suggestions on how the shocks
should be set up, i.e. how many clicks for a 1979 spider?  I am not entirely
happy with the setting as it is and I like to do spirited driving around the
corners.)

4) Other areas to look?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards
Kim

Centre for Economic Analysis - Canada Inc.
On the move, no phone yet.