re: 164s Tire choice

Among other things Ascher said:

>also, i am assuming this 205-55-16 size is closest to stock. can i
>expect no speedo deviation from the factory 195-65-15?

The 205/55 is  closest to stock but 215/55 is also an option.  By my
calculations the stock (195/65x16 wheel/tire combo is 24.98", the 205/55x16
is 24.87" and the 215/55x16 is 25.31".

My wife's S has 215/55s on it now.  On an 'S' with the lower gearing the
215s are fine and they do fit.  I prefer the idea of 205/55 for my L just
'cause it's geared too high as is and does not need a bigger wheel/tire
combo.

I welcome the discussion of tires for the 164 since I'm about to buy some.
I want an all-season (yeah, I know, no such) that performs well in snow yet
still sticks and feels good when driving hard on dry roads.  I know it's
asking too much.  Any words of advice from those who really drive their
cars in snow?  I don't mean 'can make it home in snow' but rather '
'willingly drives 200 miles in snowstorm to ski powder'.  Just how good are
these cars with 'all season' tires on them?  Michael?  Zach?

I know there's no substitute for real snows, but the car these tires are
going on is mainly a commuter that needs to be safe in occasional snow.
Any experience with the Michelin Pilot Alpin or Arctic Alpin?  I vaguely
remember some words of praise?

Thanks,
Chris Lesher
green with envy over those beautiful 156 wheels!