Cigarette Lighter outlet

I was at an autocross this weekend and I wanted to inflate the tires on my
'93 Spider using the portable pump my wife got me. It worked great on my
Contour - plug it in, turn it on, watch the tires inflate...

plugging into the Spider resulted in the pump running for about 3 seconds
and then blowing the 10A fuse.

I understand there may be some bad grounds on the car, I guess I have some
connections to clean - but I just wanted to make sure first - Should the
Spider be able to handle the load? There's no label on the pump saying what
the draw is, but it can't be that much. Not ridiculous, like a hair dryer or
something...

Has anyone else had a problem like this?

Thanks,
- -Glenn