GTV-6 windshield leaks (continued)

In AD7-1351 Bill Bean writes: "the windshield in my GTV-6 was NOT removed
when it was painted. The outer edge of the rubber trim was pulled up slightly
so that primer and paint could get underneath it. The leak was there before
it was painted.

"Strangely, it does not always leak in a rainstorm - it is affected by the
direction of the rain fall. Total mystery at this point."

If (big if) the GTV6 gasket is designed to work the same way as the 115
gaskets, and if (another big if) my interpretation of the drawings and
instructions in the shop manual are correct, there should be a thin but
effective bond of an adhesive sealant (butyl, I believe) between the outer
lip of the gasket and the painted surface of the body, and a similar seal
between the gasket and the outer surface of the glass. Pulling up the outer
edge (certainly a correct painting procedure, if not removing the glass and
gasket) would have broken the bond IF there had been an effective bond, which
there might not have been after aging some fifteen years. The design of the
gasket should provide a 'pretty good' seal against water penetration in
'most' conditions even without the sealant, but it sounds as though Bill's
seal is slightly less than perfectly effective at some point.

My purpose in the post was not so much to preach to Bill (or his painter) but
to counter the impression that Bernie Zelazny's post might have given others,
that "seating the gasket properly when re-installing the windshield" should
be sufficient to stop all windshield leaks.

Perhaps I place to much faith in shop manuals - they do not always answer all
problems to perfection - but when faced with a total mystery I am willing to
give the factory's opinion a trial. The bottom line in the shop manual (p.35)
says "The perfect sealing against water leaks depends on the way the above
mentioned procedure is performed especially as far as care in applying the
sealing compound is concerned."

Cordially,

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.