10:1 pistons

I feel bad that I missed the original thread on this, but have seen some of
the replies:

I put 10:1's on my '73 GTV last year.  Even with porting, some nice "stock"
cams from Wes, and rather aggressive timing- no problems.  I only run on
premium fuel, so that helps.  Usage is limited to mainly track and autocross
use, so it runs hard, but probably doesn't accumulate too much on the
deposit side yet.

Go for the exhaust- should be easy to find, and compared to some (but not
all) aftermarket systems, flows as well.  I broke one really badly last
fall, due to the rest of the exhaust design, not the header- and replacing
one just meant to get a used one, and sand blast it clean.  I had it
installed by my custom exhaust place, so I'm sure they were careful to make
sure that all the mating surfaces were flat- this is important so they wont
leak.

Finishing questions 1&3, before using the 1750 cams, be sure to shop around
for other specialty cams.  You might find one that might be more effective
and less expensive.  Like I mentioned, I have Wes Ingram regrinds, and they
were only $100 apiece.  For whatever cam you get, make sure its what you
really want.

As for smog...  oh, tough question.  Still have a catalyst on it?  Without
that, the changes you made will put you on the ragged edge, especially in
CA.  Start with the usual- lean, retarded timing etc.  I would recommend to
get one of those exhaust sensors, it will really help accurately set it up.
The other trick is to make sure you set the cam timing to the stock '79
settings.  Yes, I know this will hurt the power, but so does the fuel and
spark.  And since its pretty easy to change this- I would try it.

Good luck, should be a FUN car when you are done.

Eric Storhok
Core Emissions and Fuel Economy Team
Advanced Powertrain Engineering
(313)33x75011