Why did dash designs go to pot in the 70's?

John Hertzman wrote in another of his eminently readable posts:

>And then came the 2000. The 2000 Berlina, the most numerous of the breed,
>reverted to the earlier norms, with radial numbering on more complexly
>colored instruments in a fussier dash; the 2000 GT Veloce kept upright
>numbers in white-on-black, but in an instrument cluster and dash which was
>appreciably less simple and pure than that of the 1750.

Just a minor correction John: the 2000 GT Veloce has white-on-grey
instruments with some yellow embellishment, the circle I think, but it
could have been the numbers in kilometres. However, you are otherwise quite
right, the 1750 instruments represent the high point in Alfa instrument
design unequalled even by their latest offerings, in my opinion.

Les - apassionato della macchina GT Veloce
Wellington, New Zealand