Re: Macchi Veltro v Spitfire

Paul wrote:

>I forget the final tally but a mixed squadron of Macchi 202 and 205
Veltros
>shot down around 45 Mk V Spitfires while only losing about 6 or 7 of their
>own.
>
>This might have just been luck for the Italians as their fighters were
>always out-gunned and out-numbered by Allied planes. But nearly all air
>historians say that the Macchi & Reggiane fighters were thoroughbreds --
>fast
>and maneuverable, and not to be taken lightly when flown by a competent
>pilot.

The Spitfire could turn inside the Macchi starting with the MK 1 in 1940.
By 1943, it could also outrun and outgun the Macchi.  While these are
important points, they don't determine who wins in a dogfight.  Just as in
auto racing, the pilot who can fly his plane closest to its limits will
usually win, regardless of his equipment.  Better equipment rarely makes up
for unhoned skills.

Rich Wagner
Montrose, CO
'82 GTV6 Balocco