Macchi Veltro v Spitfire

Interesting thread awhile back about the Alfa manufactured DB engines (used
on Me109s) used to power various WW2 Italian fighter planes.

Several months ago I was in a dusty bookstore here in San Francisco
(becoming more and more of a rarity as Barnes et al force small independents
to fold up & close) and found a passage about a 1943 air battle over Sicily.
I forget the final tally but a mixed squadron of Macchi 202 and 205 Veltros
shot down around 45 Mk V Spitfires while only losing about 6 or 7 of their
own.

This might have just been luck for the Italians as their fighters were
always out-gunned and out-numbered by Allied planes. But nearly all air
historians say that the Macchi & Reggiane fighters were thoroughbreds --
fast
and maneuverable, and not to be taken lightly when flown by a competent
pilot.

Paul cuadra@domain.elided

164LS 5-speed
Moto Guzzi 1100