USA

  Based on per capita gross domestic product, the universal standard for
determining national wealth, the USA was the richest country in the world
last time I checked (1994), with Switzerland a close second.  Granted,
living costs in London might make you think otherwise, but just look at the
people on this digest.  Just about all the people that can afford to own
multiple 3.0L cars are Americans.  Whether or not you consider yourself
wealthy (and I sure as hell don't), the USA is technically THE RICHEST
COUNTRY ON EARTH.  Hopefully that will bring a close to that debate.

Joe Elliott
(guilty only once in my life of consuming a hot dog while driving an
automatic-trans Volvo)