Re: 164: int. temp display backlight fix

Re: getting behind display for the fix:

It's not too hard once someone explains it to you.  Here are the steps:
1.  Remove the rear seats ashtray at the back of the center console (I
know, sounds crazy, but...)
2.  Under this ashtray are two screws that hold the console in place.
Remove them, and carefully slide the console back a couple of inches
(watch shift and e-brake levers while doing this!)
3.  Go up front now, and just below the trim strip to the left of the
A/C controls you'll see a screw, previously hidden by center console.
Remove it - this holds the trim strip on.
4.  With the trim strip retaining screw out, you can slide the strip
downward and it will release (it's on hooks).
5.  With the trim strip off, take out a couple of screws and the entire
A/C control panel hinges out (I think you pull from the left and it
hinges on the right, but be cautious).  There may be a screw holding it
in which is accessed from the glovebox as well?  Can't remember...
6.  There are a couple of big electrical connectors behind the panel you
need to disconnect, so unplug them very carefully.  Then take the unit
inside for repairs.

I've got an old e-mail I dug up from when I did this originally that
mentions motorcycle dash bulbs fitting this part, so you might try a
moto shop before resorting to the Radio Shack bare bulb fix I used.
Good luck.

Jeff Matson
Harvard, MA
'74 GTV 2000