re: Alfa / Fiat / DC/(ford)

I wrote:
"Remember, it is US government *not Fiat* policy that ensures that
citizens of the land of the free can only buy what they are allowed, rather
than what they want"

"Lewis, Gerald" <gerald.lewis@domain.elided> wrote:
>This is just alot of BS (sorry Brian). There is NO US policy that is
keeping Alfa, or anybody else, out of the US market. Alfa is gone for one
good business reason, they could not hardly give away their cars. The
reasons are legion and well discussed in this forum. The emissions and DOT
requirements are not that onerous and are easily met by the likes of Kia,
Daewoo, and Lotus. Are you saying that these companies engineers and
technology are somehow superior to those at FIAT/Alfa? Not bloody likely.
It is a business decision, pure and simple. I know for a fact that the NEW
GTV and Spider were already federalized before they were introduced in
Europe. ......

John Katos wrote:
>I'll second that, and expand it an order of magnitude to include all the
OSHA, education and everything else whiners.

Ho hum.  Then explain this to me.  If the GTV and Spider are built to meet
US specs, then why can't you simply import one to the US, register it and
drive it?  Is it something to do with Fiat?  Or is it something to do with
the US government?

FWIW, I can import anything to Australia and put it on the road.  It may
require RHD conversion, side impact beams etc. to be fitted, but private
imports quite straightforward.  Same in the UK, except they don't care
which side the driver sits.  I blame Fiat for this dangerous situation,
this terrible exposure to freedom of choice........

Cheers
Mat
Yesterday saw a new Spider (ugly, bloated), 156 (nice) and 166 (ill
proportioned).  My next Alfa will be made by Subaru.