Re: Audis

>Date: Sun,  6 Feb 2000 15:00:35 -0800
>From: nizam@domain.elided
>Subject: Re: Audis

>Here here, Brian and Giovanni.

>If anything, Audi has reclaimed the public's thirst for an alternative,

>well built, fun, import car.  I'm in Southern California right now and
>driving around Orange County, you're sure to see an Audi A4 every
>two-three minutes on the freeways, A6's and A8's follow respectively.

>Kids love those cars.  They buy their A4's and race them out, it's
very,
>very cool.  The executive types end up buying A6's and the more
sporting
>of them opt for the 2.7-liter twin-turbo motor which will kick any
stock
>Alfas at this time.  It's encouraging to see this.

>While I am down here, I also visited Advanced Motorsports Solutions in
>Costa Mesa and they are in the process of building an Audi S4 race car.

>The owner was an Alfisti once but found good business hotting up Audi's

>and VW's and guess what, with Audi's increasing market share he's doing

>well himself!

>Alfa could have done the same, and whatever their reasons were for not
>doing so, it's moot now.  The market is more crowded than ever and it
>would be even harder now for them to enter the market.

>It's too bad, 'cause my heart is with Alfa but I fear it's time for a
>change, i.e. either I move to Germany to buy Alfas or I buy a German
>car.

>Nizam
>75S 3.0V6
>164LS 3.0V624v

I am forced by necessity,but also by choice, to echo Nizam's comments.
My heart
is still with Alfa, and I've found a good home for my 164, and hopefully
soon, my
Spider. I wanted newer technology, creature amenities, all wheel drive,
and a
warranty program that would 'take care' of me for a while, all to be
paid for
handsomely as new vehicles cost plenty.

I bought a '99 A6 2.8 Quattro, and have enjoyed it so much that my next
car, a 2000 A6 2.7t Quattro 6speed Sport, is on the boat headed my way.
For a while at least,I'll have the fastest Audi on these shores, and I
plan to take
it to the track (Virginia International Raceway) to be instructed it
finding its
limits by Peter Krause and my local Alfa club experts.

Audi is making wonderful cars, as is Alfa, but sadly only the former are
available
here as new vehicles. I'm sad Alfa left, my heart will always follow
their beautiful machines as
they are developed and win well-deserved awards such as the 156 winning
Euro Car of the Year, but my pocketbook (and motorsports following) now
follow Audi.

It's too bad Porsche didn't go with their 2000 LMP, because if Audi DOES
win
LeMans this year, it will be less momentous because their Stuttgart
brethren won't
be there.

David
'99 A6 2.8 Q (trading for...
'00 A6 2.7t Q 6spd Sport (where in the Atlantic is it anyway ?     ;-)
'89 Spider Veloce (hoping to find a good home soon)