Re: DC and Alfa

In a message dated 2/6/00 18:24:50 Eastern Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<<
 2) DC leverages the Ferrari name into the Alfa-Romeo GTV and GTV Spider
 line.  These cars become the "entry level" Ferrari-Alfa sports cars.
  Porsche did this pretty well with the 944 and 911 cars.  This may agitate
 the Ferrari purists, but not many can afford a new Ferrari 360.  Moving the
 Alfa sports cars under Ferrari would give Ferrari a larger car base to
 spread their fixed costs across, making it easier for both lines to make a
 profit.  And more cars means more customers, meaning more market share,
 meaning fewer of those damned Miatas <g>.>>

This would be a stunning marketing move, although with the Alfa brand well
revived in Europe, I'm not sure if they would do it. But it sure would bring
tonnage in showroom traffic!!

<< 3) I would not import the Alfa Romeo sedans.  They would have a horrible
 fight for market share against BMW, Lexus, Infiniti, not to mention
 Mercedes and Chrysler models.  No need to bite yourself...

I agree. In this country, the spiders have far outsold the sedans repeatedly,
and there is no sense in fighting the market.  Even though I own a 164,
running up against the 3 series was suicidal for Alfa. If they had just hung
on long enough for the new Spider and Coupe, I think they could have been
profitable here. And I probably would have traded for a coupe myself.
Meantime, they surrendered their market niche to others, just when the
demographics for it took off.

Don