Pertronix Electronic Ignition on 69 1750 GTV

Dan Walker inquired Pertronix Ignition System, I can
tell you that last summer I installed a Pertronix Igniter Part #1847A on my
69
1750 GTV. Like you I was also looking for something with no external box to
wire up to and I was trying to keep things as stock looking as possible. My
GTV originally had a Marelli distributor and Pertronix does  not make a
module that fits inside the Marelli distributor (at least not for my
application) I also had a Bosch distributor that was off a 4 cylinder Alfa
between the years 65-68?? (I didn't write down the model number but I do
remember JF????), I took the Bosch distributor to a local VW hot rod shop
that sold Pertronix Kits and after looking over the Bosch distributor we
arrived
at the conclusion that by chamfering a small area from the side of the
aluminum
base that module is mounted on, the above mentioned kit (#1847A) should be a
perfect fit (no returns at this stage once the base was altered), well it
made
sense to me and after all I still had my original Marelli in good working
order.
After making sure that I had a car that was in a good state of tune (I have
Webers on my, nothing against Spica), waited for the engine to cool down,
switched distributors, set timing and fired the engine up with 100% success.
After a couple of days I took the distributor out of the car again to switch
to a lighter primary spring for a faster advance curve and upon reassembly I
managed to install the magnetic ring that goes over the distributor shaft in
a position that resulted in the ring not being centered about the electronic
module and resulted in a misfire. I called Pertronix explained what I had
done and they simply suggested that I check the position of the magnetic
ring (one of two pieces that comes in the kit) was centered about the
module. The rest is history, I'm very happy with the result, but I still
carry the Marelli distributor in the trunk... the end result complements the
Webers (European set-up)  and I might also add that the Bosch distributor
being smaller in diameter leaves more room for my hand.

Pete Castiglione
69 GTV
79 Alfetta Sedan
87 Milano Silver