Help with Waxes and Washing Spider

A friend of mine suggested that I do not wash my Alfa Spider using a hose
since water will go everywhere (e.g. door sills, fender sill, etc) and will
eventually cause the car to rust.  In stead, he suggested that I wash the
car using a bucket of water and a sponge and to use as little water as
possible.  Can anyone explain this process in detail since this procedure
would seem to scratch the paint.  Also, can anyone recommend a good wax to
use on the Spider.  I was going to order the Zymol Ital wax, but didn't know
if it was worth paying $55.00.  For what it's worth, the paint on my car is
the original paint and in perfect condition, and I would like to keep it
that way for as long as possible.  TIA.

Ken Ross