Re:Pertronix Electronic Ignition on 69 1750 GTV

Peter Castiglione wrote:

>I took the Bosch distributor to a local VW hot rod shop that sold
Pertronix >Kits and after looking over the Bosch distributor we arrived
>at the conclusion that by chamfering a small area from the side of the
>aluminum base that module is mounted on, the above mentioned kit (#1847A)
>should be a perfect fit (no returns at this stage once the base was
altered), >well it made sense to me and after all I still had my original
Marelli in good >working order.

This is precisely my experience of fitting one to a 1970 GTV.  The
difference is that the new owner drove it from Perth to halfway between
Sydney and Brisbane, where the unit cooked itself.  I had packed the old
parts so he was able to get it revived.  This takes my experience of
failures to 3/3 for after market electronic ignition systems.  Beware.

Cheers
Mat