SZ ES-30

Hi,

Refering to the digest entry from John H......

I noted Eduard van de Beek's reservations about the Road & Track =
article: "=20
Referring to the article in Road & Track's May 1989 , there are several=20
mistakes in that article, probably due to the fact that the car was =
moreless=20
still in its "pre-selling-fase" , and the lack of serious information =
about=20
that car at that time." Simaniatis was writing at Balocco, from =
information=20
given him by Alfa's people; so presumably was Piatti. If Eduard van de =
Beek=20
would suggest more reliable additions to the bibliography, he would be =
doing=20
Alfa history a real service.

The words several mistakes I do not mean so serious...., it were little =
things...it is hard to express yourself in a language that is not your =
own....some things in the article in "Road and Track" are different at =
the moment that the SZ really got into production.....those things are =
concerning the interior trim, the colour of the tail lights, the =
configuration of the head lights, the number of SZ's realy produced, the =
real g-forces possible seems to be higher ( there are test raports that =
will confirm this ), the number and function of switches on the console, =
the single clutch plate was soon in the productionprocess replaced by a =
double clutch-plate. The single one was not strong enough to handle the =
power. The article also mentioned also a "surprisingly supple ride, with =
little noise, vibration and harshness usually accompanying a competition =
heritage of this sort"=20

I think that the car isn't so supple,....the "only" comfort is coming =
from the springs in the bottom of the seat, ( but I do not mind ) the =
noises could be less... and the most of the SZ's makes a lot of klonking =
and squietching noises from the back suspension, due to misalignment =
between shock absorbers and the suspension.... later AR came with a =
modification for this problem, the only trouble is that almost nobody  =
knows about this modification and they still have to live with those =
noises......but if needed I will help you !

Than the name: SZ.... the article say it will mean Sport Zagato....over =
here was a big discussion about this, because in none original folder or =
brochure this name was mentioned. Alfa itself refers every time to the =
history of the Sprint Zagato.... I myself think it has to be Sprint =
Zagato.......but now I think I opened a new discussion.

bye...Eduard van de Beek - The Netherlands