the FRAP flap

Jay Mackro wrote:
 =

>> ... does that mean that Lemforder (which doesn't rhyme with
much of anything) isn't imported to the States at all? <<

Oddly, replacement spider A-arm bushings are made
by Lemforder. These are readily available
from the popular Alfa parts suppliers. But apparently,
Lemforder ball joints are not.

Some time ago someone at a major parts house indicated that
they could carry Lemforder ball joints, etc., but that the
FRAP parts would be much cheaper and few Alfisti would pay
for Lemforder. Therefore it was not worthwhile to carry
the Lemforder parts.
 =

>> Aren't there other European cars that would use the
same rod ends as an Alfa? <<

A couple of years ago when I bought a complete set of tie-rod
ends, the four "outers" were made by VEMA and the two "inners"
were made by FRAP. The FRAP package indicated the parts fit:

   AR Giulia
   Ford Taunus
   VW 1200, 1300, 1302, 1303, 1500, 1600 411L Transporter

So rather than use FRAP inner tie-rod ends, one could look
for parts from one of these cars instead.

BTW I don't know if VEMA parts are any better than FRAP.
They looked pretty similar. (I do know FRAP is easier
to rhyme!)

One way to possibly increase the service life of the FRAP
components is to add some good quality grease to the FRAP
ball joints and tie-rod ends. I've noticed on the FRAP
pieces I've examined that there is very little extra grease
beneath the rubber boot. (Be careful not to damage the boot
when you remove it.)

One final observation. A few years ago I had a "Spider clunks
on braking" problem. The problem was a fairly loud clunking
from the front while braking over uneven pavement. The car, a
'78 Spider had just about all its front bushings and ball
joints replaced in an attempt to eliminate the clunk. One clue
to the solution of this problem came from the fact that a
Duetto I have did not clunk, and yet underwent pretty much the
same front-suspension rebuild.

One difference between the Spider and Duetto was that the Duetto
had urethane washers on its upper control arm castor bushings,
while the '78 Spider didn't. It turns out that the FRAP control
arms came with castor bushings that should use urethane washers.
So one solution would be to install the washers, but
unfortunately, the washers weren't available at the time.
Another solution was to use replacement castor bushings for the
arms that don't require the washers. So I replaced the bushings
and the clunking went away.

So for those of you replacing the upper control arms in your
Spiders, GTVs, etc., you should ask your supplier about the
control arms you're getting and make sure the supplied bushings
are correct for your car. And since the washers are apparently
no longer available, I would make sure the bushings are for
washerless installation.
 =

Rich Hirsch
 =