SZ/RZ (ES30)

In AD7-1318 Gareth Marshall writes "I believe that while Alfa Romeo did
design the SZ and Zagato built it, Zagato both designed and built the RZ
(convertible). Apparently most of the panels on the RZ were different, due to
the need to increase stiffness I guess. IMHO both cars look much better in
the flesh  .. I mean metal ... no I mean plastic ... than in photographs."

I would question this, first on the distinction between who built and who
designed, and second on the suggestion that any panels were different, either
due to a need for increased stiffness or for any other reason. Tangentially I
must touch on some other questions which have come up in the recent
discussion of these interesting cars.

For US readers a convenient information source is Road & Track's May 1989
issue which has an eight page article by Dennis Simanaitis, the magazine's
engineering editor. D'Amico & Tabucchi devote eight pages to the SZ (ES30)
and four more to the RZ derivative. (Both contain large cutaway drawings, the
RZ drawing very obviously simply a revision of the SZ drawing.) The most
thorough published source is the book "Alfa Romeo SZ" by Roberto Piatti,
published by Giorgio Nada in an Italian-language version and in an
English-language version distributed by Motorbooks International, A.K.A.
Classic Motorbooks. The publication date, 1989, was at the beginning of the
SZ production (1989-1991) and three years before the beginning of the RZ
production (1992). For information on Zagato, as the company was in this
period, the best source I know of is "Carrozzeria Italiana", the annual
publication of ANFIA, the Associazione Nazionale fra le Industrie
Automobilistiche, which includes twenty-one companies, some with very well
known names (Zagato, Pininfarina, Bertone, Ghia, Italdesign) and some large
and well-established but virtually unknown to the general public, like Ilca
Maggiora, the company which builds such cars as the Fiat Barchetta and
earlier built the Alfa 2000 and 2600 Spiders which were "built" by Touring.

Zagato shows up in the yearbook as three companies, Zagato S.p.A., Zagato Car
S.r.l., and Zagato Industrial Design S.r.l. Together they have about one
tenth the staff that Bertone has, (145 people vs. 1,500), about one eighth
the physical facilities, (11,000 square meters vs. 90,000), and have the
theoretical capacity to produce about one seventh the number of cars per year
(3,000 vs. 20,000). When was the last time you saw a new series-produced car
identified as built by Bertone? Such companies prosper by building cars for
other manufacturers (Who builds Maseratis? Who knows?) and specialty vehicles
like armored cars, ambulances, busses, ad infinitum. Zagato builds its up-to
3000 cars a year with its staff of 145 and "various external operators who
play a part in the production process", i.e. subcontractors. When I had the
opportunity to visit Carrozzeria Galbiati several years ago Galbiati was
building several examples of the "Zagato-built" variant of the Ferrari 348.
The car was, of course, built by Zagato; Galbiati was merely the
subcontractor who was doing the metalwork, painting, upholstering, trimming,
and finishing on the basic car built by Pininfarina. So, when somebody says
the SZ and RZ were built by Zagato I do not feel that I necessarily know who
made the molds, who made the dies, who stamped the metal, who molded the
plastic panels, who built the jigs, who welded the steel, who glued the
plastic panels to the substructure, who upholstered, who painted, who
trimmed. Zagato of course did it, with certain external operators playing a
part in the process.

On the suggestion that most of the panels on the RZ were different, due to
the need to increase stiffness, it is not apparent to me. The SZ and RZ were
both based on a steel structure based on a competition variant of the Milano
platform. The panels were fiberglass-reinforced molded "Modar", an acrylic
resin Alfa had already used for the bumpers of the Spider (called the
"Duetto" in Piatti's text, by the way - -) which were glued to the steel
structure. (The roof was aluminum, some non-structural parts were
carbon-fibre-)

A final note on things done to increase stiffness. The Milano, SZ and RZ all
have the same 2510 mm wheelbase, with a 10 cm wider track on the SZ and RZ,
probably entirely due to the wheels and tires. By d'Amico & Tabucchi's
figures, a Milano weighs 1190 kg, the SZ 1260 kg, and the RZ 1380 kg. The
extra 260 pounds of the RZ over the SZ is probably steel, not plastic, in my
opinion, in the platform, not in the panels, to compensate for the loss of
the structural roof framing.

For those who admire the appearance of the SZ and RZ, I would suggest taking
a good look at what could be done with a GTV6 and some fiberglass overlay
panels, much like the ones the kit-car industry uses to make "Ferraris" out
of Corvettes, Datsuns and Fieros. Drop in a Verde engine, some raunchy wheels
and a set of Superpro bushings, 225/50 x 16 tires and bask in it - -

John H.
Raleigh, N.C.

End of alfa-digest V7 #1320