Hardtop Advice for Spider

At 1:03 PM -0500 1/29/00, Ken Ross wrote:
>Is it worth the expense and trouble to purchase a hardtop for a series 3
>Spider.  I live in the northeast and we do experience all four seasons.
>What should I expect to pay for a hardtop?  TIA.

Ken--

I'm not sure where you live, but if you live where it's cold, the
answer is YES!!!YES!!!YES!!!.  If you followed my question about rear
window replacement last week that will give you a hint as to why.  I
have not taken the time to go to a shop yet to see if the rear window
alone can be replaced, but the chances are that I will wind up
replacing what was a pretty good top.

Here's the short of it:

Up until this year, the car was only an 8 month car, and never driven
in snow...or very little rain for that matter, so there was no need
for a hard top.    When my Milano 3.0 was totaled, I started driving
the spyder every day.  Since the average temperature in the Phila.
area for the last 4 years was about 45 degrees with no snow, I
figured "what the heck".  Then this year hit.  Anyway, my car was in
my garage, which is not heated.  The outside temperature was about 5
degrees.  I went to put my breifcase on the back shelf, barely
touched the window, and the window cracked in 3 places.  So now a car
that was beautiful looks like it is put together with packing tape.
Oh well...

Good Luck,
Fred Sacks

End of alfa-digest V7 #1311