Known problems with 146 brakes

Hello Everyone

Digest #1297 had a plea from Dermot Daly about loud noises from his '99
146's brakes when reversing.  My 1999 146 ti (now with 9,000 miles on the
clock) has done the exactly the same thing since about 4,000. My 155 before
that did the same (even worse). My local Alfa Dealerships would strip the
pads, squirt brake cleaner all over the place & the problem would go away -
for about a week! I've spoken to my dealer about the problem on my new car,
and they say "oh, they all do that sir! Try hosing around the brake
callipers when you clean your car." Did that, no apparent difference... Who
said new Alfa's don't have any quirks like the old ones?  All the same, if
someone can find a cure, I'll be very happy!
Also, recent debate/comment about the Ford Focus sparked a thought: In my
experience having driven them as rental cars, this is a very good (but
rather dull) machine, offering a driving experience fairly close to the 145
& 146. Ford obviously spent a fortune on chassis development to good effect.
They lack the "oomph" however and of course the Cuore Sportivo!

Cheers

John G (UK)