steering wheel refinishing

My steering wheel, off of a 1970 1750 GTV, has been removed from the
car, repaired (large cracks/splinters fixed) and finely sanded.

I feel fairly confident in the completed glue/epoxy/clamp repair
process.
However, I am unsure on the final finish.

I remember some previous posts (last summer?) discussing different
material options for the final finish, but was unable to find them in
the archives.

Couple of questions:
1.  Suggestions for a stain (if any) for the mahogany?
2.  Suggestions for a Urethane?  A specialty wood store suggested a
    MinWax Poly Urethane product that is wiped on versus brushed, to
    allow for 12-24 hours between coats and to use at least 4 coats.

I have not seen many other Alfas to compare with (being a relatively
new Alfisti) but from pictures it seems that a gloss finish might
have been originally used and the color seemed to be quite orange.

Thank you for any assistance,

Derek Lund
Database and Technology Manager
Ph (416) 946-3301