Spider Power Mirrors

Anybody out there know the wiring details for the mirrors on the '91-'93
spiders?

I decided to replace the mirror switch on my '86, because I got tired of
the little joystick catching the sleeve of my jacket as I reached for
the gearshift.  I figured a mirror switch was a mirror switch - just
swap 'em, right?  Wrong.  The switch seems to work differently on the
later cars.  Of course I figured this out after I'd trashed the old
switch.

Here's how the '86 seems to work: on either side, there are 4 wires. 2
of these operate the motor, with horizontal as the default axis, and
left/right direction controlled by polarity applied.  The other 2 go to
a solenoid, which changes the axis to vertical.  One of these wires is
permanently ground, so adding current to the other operates the solenoid
and for vertical travel.  Direction (up/down in this case) is still
controlled by polarity to the motor.

I'm having a little trouble matching this up to the new switch (I don't
mind adding a relay, if necessary).  The later switch seems to have at
least one position that closes only one connection, which leaves me at a
bit of a loss to understand how the motor could be powered...  I've
noticed that the outer mirrors are a different shape, so perhaps their
wired differently.  I'll change over to them if I must, but I'd REALLY
prefer not to replace the mirrors just to swap the switch.

Anybody able to lend a hand?

TIA.

Hal Taylor
'86 spider veloce "Strega" (currently with non-adjustable mirrors)
Venice, CA (in case Fred knows of some power mirror switch expert in the
area)