Silver State Classic: Alfa Content

Okay, I've just gotta throw this out for curiosity's sake:

What began as a simple inquiry into volunteering for this
classic open road race has turned into a full-fledged invite to
Alfa owners from the event's teams co-ordinator.

Here's the scoop: Anyone who subcribes to Autoweek may remeber
an article on last year's race which heavily featured Dennis
"Mad Dog" Antennucci's Pantera. Mad Dog crossed the finish line
at 170mph ON FIRE!!! Mad Dog lobbies hard for teams to come to
the event,to the point where they're offering $5,000,000 (yup,
that's million) to any 10-car team that can show up to the race
in May. Not sure about how serious this is, but suffice to say
they'd love to see more teams, especially if they're Eye-talian.

SO- is anyone up for running their Alfa flat out for 90 miles in
the Nevada desert? Costs are about $300 to enter plus $175 for
the required driving school for rookies. Dates are 18-21 May.
Check out http://www.silverstateclassic.com

Here's what Mad Dog said:
"These are real roads, not baby butt smooth track conditions for
elitists and test both the car and the driver's ability to
drive.... Miles and miles of pedal-to-the-metal straight-aways
and canyon turns, elevation changes and blind off camber turns
will get your attention! There is nothing else like it unless
you go to Europe. <grin>. We have had teams from Corvette,
Viper, Porsche, Mustang, SHO, Camaro and Pantera which also
happens (let me puff my chest out here) to be the only vintage
team and the first and only team to finish all 10 cars that it
started in both the Silver State and Nevada Open races...Okay
enough already....I'd love to see the Alfa club participate as a
team...Ya just need someone crazy enough to want to organize and
lead a team..."

Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger!

Neil
'87 Milano Oro