Rear-end failure modes?

Most knowledgeable sources I have talked to praise the strength and
reliability of the Alfa live-axle rear end. I'm trying to figure out if the
differential is toast in my 74 GTV. Recently my mechanic noted that my rear
wheel bearings seem to have way too much play compared with normal.
Substantial play is felt when the wheel is grabbed (at 12oclock and
6oclock) and rocked gently. Having done this job before, I decided to
tackle the axles removal myself and have a machinist R&R the bearings and
retaining collars. However, I just drained the oil from mine and the
magnetic plug was filled with a fine "silt" for lack of a better word.
Further, with the wheel off, I find almost no play when the disc brake hub
is grabbed and rocked. The Panasport wheels seem to be on tight, I checked
the depth of the wheel cap nuts against the length of the studs (0.1 in.
clearance), I checked with the original steel wheels and nuts, and it's
exactly the same. Is it possible for the inboard bearings (i.e. in the
differential) to go bad and the play I'm detecting is not at the wheel
bearing but at the inboard end of the axle? Something is definitely too
loose back there and it may be the source of the driveline vibration that's
been haunting me for about a year now. Any diagnostic tips?

Mike Grace
74 GTV
Santa Barbara, CA