164 Camber Adjustment

"David Nolen" <dnolen@domain.elided> writes...
> I took my '91 164L to have it aligned today and was told that the
front
> camber was out of spec.  The driver's side was -2 deg. and the
passenger
> side was -3.5 deg.  The driver's side is close, but the passenger
> needs some correction.
>
> The CarDisc CD seems to indicate that there is not an adjustment for
this.
> How does one go about correcting this?

David-  I discuss this topic in my next AO article, but since you're a
911 & 164 guy like me, I won't make you wait <g>.  First, if you're out
that much on one side, I suspect you have something wrong over there on
the passenger side - a worn bushing or two on the A-arm is most likely -
AlfaBill can sell you new urethane bushings or a whole new A-arm for not
a lot of money.  Once you've taken care of that, and find that you're
still beyond spec, here's what I reluctantly recommend.  Remove the
strut, and open up the 3 upper mounting holes (with a 1/4" round file)
towards the outside of the car.  I found that opening up each hole 2mm
decreased negative camber by .4 degrees.  Obviously you'll need to apply
outward pressure to the strut as you re-tighten it to ensure that you
re-set the strut in the most upright position now provided.  Yea, it's a
bit of a hack approach, but it works.

Brad Anesi
'91 Project 164Q 5-speed

P.S.  The spacers don't exist if your car was built before 12/90 or so,
which seems to cover most of the '91 MY.

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.