Re: Spica Fuel Pump

Many thanks to all those who sent messages of help to me concerning the low
pressure fuel warnings, greatly appreciated.  I have changed the pump filter, and
at the same time changed the fuel lines from tank to filter and filter to pump.
Pretty straightforward job, the only real difficulty being trying to avoid being
drowned in petrol from the tank when removing the line from the pump.  I could
not believe the amount of crud that had built up in there, I could scarcely blow
through the filter, how the pump was delivering any fuel at all is a mystery to
me.  I drained off a good amount of petrol from the tank to try to clear any more
residue laying in there, before putting the system back together, and then up the
road for a test drive, fantastic 100+mph no fuel pressure warning light.

I would appreciate comments on the following gauge readings observed whilst
driving the car, little traffic, weather sunny, temp 85 deg.  As far as I know
the car, '69 1750 Spider, has stock US gearing and it runs on 185x14 tyres.  At
steady sustained 100 mph the rev meter is just at the start of the red band ie
5,700 rpm, and the temp gauge reads 200 deg., the oil pressure reads 60 psi. At
idle the engine speed is 900 rpm, and the oil pressure gauge reads almost zero,
but picks up straight away when the engine is revved.  Are these readings normal.

Thanks again for all the help.

David Boxall
Dubai
http://sites.netscape.net/davidboxall/classics