Re: NY/NJ/PA alfisti: autox anyone?

This is a great suggestion. For some time, I tried to get local
Alfisti to do this, when all the cheap autox sites dried up. I
didn't have much luck. The format of the SCCA events was different
enough that not many locals were interested. The ARA locally ran
autocrosses where we got a LOT more laps. We were spoiled. ;=)
The ARA did finally get a local site, but it isn't what we were
used to.

I ran with the SCCA in my Giulietta Spider for some time. I had
fun, even though I wasn't that high in the standings. I highly
recommend it as a way to know the limits of your car's handling.

Here are some things to look for/prepare for before you head off
to frighten the rubber cones:

1) Check your battery mounting! This has to be the biggest reason
   for cars being turned away at tech and sent home. Pay special
   attention to the SCCA Solo II rules regarding a relocated battery.
   I had to put bolts thru the trunk floor and put it in a battery
   box to satisfy tech. They did give me a grace period to get the
   car up to snuff.
2) Check your wheel bearings! Lots of play here can also get you
   sent home.
3) Same applies to steering play, tie rod ends, ball joints, major
   leaks, etc.
4) If you have closed-end lug nuts, make sure you have enough
   thread under them. Be prepared to pull a lug nut off front and
   rear to prove it.
5) Get yourself a 12 volt compressor or an air tank, or just make
   sure somebody in the group has one. Definitely bring a good
   tire pressure gauge. Having some chalk to mark your tires with
   is also a plus.
6) Plan on rotating your tires after the event. The shoulder of the
   tread on the fronts will take some abuse.

For more info (sorry, some of this is SF Region specific) see:

http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/index.html
http://www.sfrscca.org/solo2/faq/
http://www.moutons.org/sccasolo/
http://www.tirerack.com/features/solo2/handbook.htm