NY/NJ/PA alfisti: autox anyone?

Hi all, I'm trying to get some local alfisti together to attend one or more
SCCA autocross events with me. I've already sent out this reminder to the
local AROC chapter (NJ), hopefully it can make it into the newsletter. Sorry
this notice is a little wordy but here it is:

Calling all Alfa Romeo Drivers: Let's Autocross with SCCA!

Attention NY/NJ/PA Alfa drivers! If you are interested in driving your car
the way it was meant to be driven, you should consider attending an
Autocross. Autocrossing (officially known as SCCA "Solo II") is a great way
to hone your driving skills, and enjoy your car in a new way.

If you are new to autocrossing, here's a description:  Autocrossing is a
test of driver skill. While it is a timed event and speed is obviously of
major importance, precision is also key. Autocrossing is very well suited
for cars that are well-balanced, handle well, and do not have overpowering
large engines - like our Alfas!  The event organizers simply lay out a
course of cones in a large parking lot and time drivers as they go through
the cones.

A typical day at an autocross will involve 4-8 runs of about a minute
(depending on which group or region is running the event). Plan on taking
the whole day, starting bright and early at the site (generally about 8:30
AM) and ending in late afternoon.

Requirements are that your car is safe and healthy; drivers are required to
wear a helmet, but most locations will lend a helmet if necessary. Cost for
the day is usually between $20 and $30.

And if you are worried about wear on your car, don't - these events are
short enough to not overheat brakes or kill engines (as long as they are
healthy - check those timing belts!). The only real stress on the car will
be on the tires - you will be cornering in your Alfa much harder than you
ever have a chance to on the street. Your car (and your self) is very
unlikely to get damaged in these events, since a misstep generally involves
hitting one or more cones - harmless!

I am attempting to get some local Alfa drivers together to attend the SCCA
Philadelphia Region Autox events. I've gone to a few myself, and have been
the only Alfa Romeo at each one. The Philadelphia Region runs during the
wintertime on Sundays in Camden, and at Nazareth Speedway during the warmer
months. The schedule is posted at
<http://www.intac.com/~autoxcsp/phillysolo.htm>.  While we would not get any
special classifications (we would just be a bunch of people attending the
same event), we could at least gauge our skills against each other.

If you are interested in attending (perhaps we can get a group together),
please email me at glennwa@domain.elided <mailto:glennwa@domain.elided>.

Thanks!
- -Glenn Wasserman