Re: Spica Fuel Pump

In my experience, the SPICA system fuel low pressure/starvation problems are
caused by (listed in decreasing order of frequency and probability:

1. Plugged rear (tank) filter
2. Plugged front (cannister in engine compartment) filter
3. Defective (kinked or leaking) hose from gas tank to rear filter
4. Dying fuel pump.

Again, my own experiences show a ratio of approx. 5 occurrences of plugged
tank filter to every one instance of a plugged front filter. Wish it were
otherwise, as those rear filters are getting $pendy these days. Once I
replaced the pump, sure it was the cause of the problem, which did not help
at all. Turned out it was the front filter. I suppose it all depends on the
quality of the fuel and condition of the gas tank.

I don't even bother testing the fuel delivery rate because it's much faster
and easier just to replace the filter, to good result.

DO NOT drive the car with low fuel pressure. The $$$ injection pump is cooled
by the constant flow of the fuel thru it and will quickly overheat and
destroy itself if run without sufficient fuel circulating thru it.

The problem seems to worsen when it's hotter.

- --Caxambu
1969 1750 Spider
Seattle WA, where heat is not a problem these days.