Gas Smell Solved (long)

After careful reveiw of the vent system here is a fix that worked for
me.  So far I have not had any gas fumes in the car.

So many people contacted me off the list about this problem  I thought
that it would be easier to post to the list.  Here is the fix. (I hope)

1. Check filler neck for cracks, and loose clamps, - replace as
necessary
2. Replace the two vent lines running from the tank to the black box in
the trunk (3/8" fuel line works)  Toss the factory clamps and use new
clamps.
3. Ensure that the check valve (aluminum cylinder) is working, and that
the one way valve is also working.
4. Check to ensure vaccum from the engine through the clear plastic
line.
        This last step is where my car failed, sometimes I had vaccum
other times I didn't - therefore the line was kinked somewhere.  I
replaced the entire line with 1/4" plastic ice maker line from home
depot (25 feet), also buy the brass ferrels that fit inside the tubing
so that when you clamp the tube you do not crush the tubing.  I ran the
ne line down through the grommet where the fuel line runs and zip tied
it to the fuel line to the front of the car where I hooked it up to the
intake manifold where the other line was hooked up.

This so far has solved the gas fume problem.  It was a simple 20 minute
fix at  a total cost of $2.01.

I hope this helps others solve their problems.

Kelly M
88 Spider - gas fume free (so far)