164 Temp Light and Bonnet (Hood) release

Greetings Alfisti, and Happy New Year to you all.

New year, same old glitches.

The temperature light on the gauge came on to-day while sitting in heavy
traffic for the best part of a hour. I was unable to switch the engine off
as we crawled that last 8 miles home in near gridlock.

The temp stabilised around 90-95c. When we got home, I left the car for a
couple of hours and came to use it again, and the light was still on,
although the gauge read about 65c. I guess this is the sender in some way?
Can anyone confirm a similar problem? All help appreciated.

Now the really stupid bit. I pulled the hood release to check for bad/dirty
connections, and the cable appeared to snap somewhere in the engine bay,
leaving me with a suprised expresion and a sealed bonnet. Now on other
Alfa's, there has been an emergency release cable somewhere. The handbook
does not mention it, and I cannot find one anywhere. I presume if there
isn't one, I have to try and release the bonnet from below the radiator some
how. Anyone got any bright ideas on this one?

Alfa's, don't you just love 'em?

Ciao,
Ian