Italian grammar correction

At Sun, 2 Jan 2000 00:25:29 -0800, "Ted Williams" <tedw@domain.elided>
put on a mail's subject:

"Gli automobili tedeschi sono diabolici, Alfas buoni."

Wrong :-)
CAR, in italian, is AUTOMOBILE, and it's Female.
If you wanna it MALE you must say "Autoveicolo", or just "Veicolo" (Vehicle),
but the right name is AUTOMOBILE, aka AUTO, or "MACCHINA"... all meant as
FEMALE.
So GLI, as a male/plural article definite article is wrong. And all
adjectives &co
put in male plural form are wrong too.
Alfa is Alfa, and got no plural form in italian, so it's LE ALFA (femal
plural)
to say "THE ALFAs".  Alfa, is ofcourse, female.
Ted's sentece would then be:
"Le automobili tedesche sono diaboliche, le Alfa (sono) buone"

Sentence I don't back at all, cuz I dunno your, but MY ALFA is pretty
"Diabolica" (="Diabolic/Diabolical"). :-)))))))))))

Ah... the female form rule isn't absolute for BRANDS, I mean that AUTOMOBILE
is always female, but the brand isn't always.
BMW, by example is both referred as male (Un BMW) and female (UNA BMW).
Anyway, generally, the female form is correct, so Alfa, Fiat, Lancia, Ferrari,
Lamborghini, Jaguar, Italdesign, Mercedes, Bmw, Saab are ok if referred as
lovely babes :))))))))

I was talking with bike mates about the fact we always refer as FEMALE to
bikes
and cars.  why do we do?? Oh well... especially when you talk about exotic
vehicles like the Ferrari F50 or the Ducati 996SPS ... well aren't they
SEXY???
Don't you see some sexy feminine shapes over those designs ??? Look at the 996
from the top and tell me what you see.... isn't it?
:-))))))

OK, I'm Still full of champagne after the y2k party.... sorry :o))))

Luca

nodoubt,
937 landpilot
"We will be a family no matter what!" (Mari Hall)
937RS2, 75 Turbo, RM250

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/6818/