Re: alfa-digest V7 #1257 - Reverse Gear

    You might have a problem where the shift lever is hitting on the console.
 However, popping out of reverse is rather common with Alfa transmissions.
If you cannot hold it in reverse with pressure on the shift lever then, you
will have to crack the transmission.  You might be able to remove the rear
section of the transmission with the unit still in the car.
    The bearing at the rear of the lay shaft (the idler shaft parallel to the
main shaft) may be bad.  This cannot be checked without opening the
transmission.  A marginal rear bearing may allow the rear of the lay shaft to
move in relation to the reverse gear.
    More likely is a reverse gear that is not engaging fully.  The reverse
gear sits outside the main body of the transmission.  It engages between the
lay shaft and the main shaft to reverse the direction of rotation.  The gear
may be worn or the teeth may be chewed up.  You may need a new reverse gear.
On reassembly, the shift lever for reverse and fifth gears should be
positioned so that it pushes reverse as far into engagement as possible.
    If you have the transmission open, you just as well have second gear
synchronizer replaced.  Plus third gear might like a new syncro as well.
This is all pretty easy, but you have to have a hydraulic press.
    Of course, while you have the transmission out, replace the throw out
bearing and maybe the pilot bushing.  Inspect the flywheel and the pressure
plate.  Have the clutch disk relined.  I have had good luck running used
pressure plates and relined disks.  Just as well put a rebuild kit in the
clutch slave too.
    Drive shaft u joints and carrier bearings OK?  I do get carried away,
don't I.  But if the drive shaft is out anyway...
    Oh, and do not forget the two rubber boots that seal the top of the
transmission around the shifter.
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City

In a message dated 01/02/2000 10:25:04 PM Central Standard Time,