Re: alfa-digest V7 #1257 - Milano Verde Clunk

    To check the ball joints, you need to support the car under the lower A
arm with the wheel off the ground.  Put a tire iron, wrecking bar or other
lever under the tire and observe things as you move the tire with the lever.
You need to have the weight off the ball joints to see them move.
    The same with the tie rod ends.  Leave one wheel on the ground and move
the other tire around while looking at the tie rod ends.  The inner end of
the tie rod is fitted with a ball in a socket.  This wore out first on my
Milano.  The inner end screws onto the end of the steering rack.  I replaced
the tie rod and both tie rod ends.
    The upper front link at the fender had two rubber washers per side.
These may have gone away.  The bushings at the inner ends of the A arms may
be bad.
    Just looking will not tell you much.  You need to figure out how to take
the pressure off the joint and then attempt to move it.
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City

In a message dated 01/02/2000 10:25:04 PM Central Standard Time,