Re: alfa-digest V7 #1255 - Fan Replacement

In a message dated 01/01/2000 4:43:44 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<<
 Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 16:13:49 EST
 From: Newigi@domain.elided
 Subject: Re: Busted fan blade

 Just lost a fan blade on a 81 spider. Do I need to pull the radiator to
 replace the fan, also, I need to replace the fan shroud? Any help would be
 appreciated before I start. Thanks, Norm.

    Removing the radiator makes it a lot simpler to get to the bolts on the
fan blade.  Fan replacement can be done by unbolting the shroud and pushing
it back.  But you have to feel for the bolts as you cannot see them.  Two
more bolts and two hoses and the radiator is out.  It is the easiest way.
    If your shroud is cracked, you might be able to duct tape it, fiberglass
it, or make a plate to span the gap and screw on both sides.  To replace the
shroud, you have to remove the radiator.  It will not fit between the water
pump and the radiator.
    You should inspect your motor mounts.  There is some reason why your fan
broke.  I will bet your motor mounts have sagged allowing the fan to contact
the shroud.
    If you have the radiator out, you may want to replace the fan belts and
radiator hoses while you are in there.  Maybe have the radiator rodded out if
it has not been done for a while.  And replace the antifreeze if it is more
than a couple of years old.
     Carrying this thought a bit further and you will have an engine overhaul
completed - I do tend to get carried away working on my Alfas.  If it ain't
broke, fix it until it is?
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City