Spider hand-brake boot

Has anyone out there ever had to service their handbrake? I am replacing the
toothed gear that sets the brake and when I looked at the boot cover this
a.m. it appears to be all one piece with the tunnel cover mat, which extends
just under the seat and has my belts anchored thru it. I would much prefer If
I could get the boot off without having to cut the mat away from it- or
unbolt the belts--anyone have a suggestion?

Kevin M
74 Spider