Re: alfa-digest V7 #1255 - Double Clutching

In a message dated 01/01/2000 4:43:44 PM Central Standard Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

<<
 Date: Sat, 1 Jan 2000 12:46:32 +0800
 From: "Shahrol Halmi" <alfalist@domain.elided>
 Subject: Re: double clutching

 I thought that you don't blip the throttle on double-declutched upshifts,
 only downshifts?

 (happy new year everyone)

    Blipping the throttle is the opposite of what you want to do on an
upshift.  In fact, I cannot imagine why you would want to double clutch an
upshift.  The reason for double clutched downshifts is to speed up the
transmission input shaft by blipping the throttle so that the input section
is turning the same speed as the gears you are trying to mesh.  When
upshifting, the input shaft and the engine naturally slow down if you pause a
moment in neutral, so why double clutch?
    Drivers of eighteen wheelers (big trucks for you overseas) use the clutch
only to start from a stop.  Otherwise they never use the clutch.  When
upshifting, they push the shifter into neutral, pause and pull the lever into
the next gear.  On a downshift, they push the lever to neutral, blip the
throttle to speed up the engine and push the lever into the lower gear.  It
takes practice, but their gear boxes do not have synchromesh to help the
shifts anyway.  I was awful the only time I drove an over the road big rig.
    I can drive my 5 speed S-10 Blazer tow vehicle and most American stick
shifts that way.  I have rarely been able to do it in an Alfa.  I am not sure
why not.  Maybe the Alfa is more precise.
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City