Re: Tires on a Giulia Super...

The original wheels were 5 X 15, actually, sporting the equivalent (more
or less) of a 155-15 or a 165-15 tire. Alfa allowed about one
finger-width of room between the original skinnie-minis and the fender
skirt; hence your problem. My solution was to completely redo the
quarter panels to allow for more tire (a choice which people with more
sense refuse to make). You can see pictures on my (admittedly VERY
dated) web page: http://mev4474.home.texas.net/

In the late 60's, I've been told, some of those who really wanted to
race their Giulia Supers would stick a bottle jack in the wheel well and
push out the quarter panel (and also cave in the inner wheel well) to
make room for a wider tire. Not very helpful advise nowadays, I know.
But it exposes the root of the problem: there just isn't room for more
tire.

Anyway, I can tell you that you need about 3/4" of clearance between the
tire and the fender skirt to allow for movement of the axle under load
(a little laterally, and more when the car leans over). You need the
same amount of clearance (and 1" is better) between the inside of the
tire and the inner fender well.

MeV