re: Hope for the future...

In V7, # 1248, Joe Elliott wrote:
"Well I'm 16 years old and making approximately $35 a
week.  I own a GTV6. I bought it for $450 and have put
$2300 into it (but not all that was really
necessary-I just felt like a new transmission when I
had it out for
mounts, and was told that I should replace some other
driveline bits that weren't all that bad, although now
I've determined my driveshaft center support is
shot...).  My friend Jake has a Milano..."

Anyone who seriously thinks the youth of America are a
bunch of hapless losers needs to read this. Joe's
entire letter was heartening to read, both for the
willingness he shows to undertake real grubby-knuckle
work (in lieu of spending money he doesn't have) and
for the genuine enthusiasm he clearly has for these
cars. Nor is it likely that he and Jake are the only
kids on the continent like that. Okay, so it won't
cure cancer or world hunger, but it still makes me
feel pretty damn good about at least some of the
future.

Will Owen
Nashville, TN
'87 Milano, in need of Joe and Jake!

Being 24 and having been involved in Alfas for 5 years, I can relate to
Joe's post.  It was great inspiration too to get off my butt and do some
needed work to the 164.  My 20th birthday present to my self was a Milano,
which was unbelievable I thought.  Driving it home, listening to the
orientation tape (with semi-cheesy music), thinking this has to be the
finest car to set four wheels on mother earth!  Ever since then I couldn't
comprehend downgrading to something else, no matter the cost (money or time
or bloody knuckles).  My neighbors give me the weirdest looks as they drive
by, of course how many people are washing/vacuuming there car at midnight in
February after skiing all day?

It makes me happy to know there are other youngins out there, maybe they'll
show up for Portland 2000 Convention?  I personally invite you.  Portland in
July, lapping at PIR, driving (flying) around with AROO, with all the
luscious roads, jeez I'm stoked!  You should do everything you can to drive
your Alfa there.  Just change the oil, wax the paint, pack some stuff
(pepper Gordy!), and drive out here.  It's really not that far, just start
driving and soon enough you'll arrive.  Gordy Hyde and I did the KC '99 tour
putting on 5500 miles in an Alfa through something like 15 states.  Wow that
trip still stands out vividly.

So thanks to Joe for giving me a kick in the pants!  Good luck with your
heater fan.

Zach
Redmond, WA
'91 164S