Cashing in the Verde?

Well, it looks like there are quite a few digesti who would love to take=20
Ted's Verde off his hands, but would rather HE keep it.  Funny bunch, eh?

I faced a similar dilemma as Ted several years back. After landing a job tha=
t=20
included a 74 mile commute, I wanted something I could basically beat into=20
the ground and not really care about.  Just fuel n' go.  It had to be=20
affordable, reliable, comfortable and well, fun. =20

Arguably, the Milano is all of these things to a certain degree.  As the=20
original owner, I've experienced all of the quirks that come with owning an=20
Italian car.  In fact, I welcomed them=85it's a part of the "character" few=20
other modern cars can deliver, right?

Maybe and maybe not.  The Milano's mechanical music, distinct exhaust note=20
and crisp handling always deliver a smile. But after being on the Digest for=
=20
5-6 years, I've read (and experienced) all the usual problems associated wit=
h=20
these cars-from bizarre electrical problems (bad ground connections) to an=20
appetite for oil and possibly the worst ventilation system in any car-and=20
often wondered "is it all worth it?"

The answer, of course, is yes.  Especially if you've found a decent Milano=20
for cheap-there's no better bargain for a performance car.  But it's more=20
than the car--it's the people who drive them.  Alfa owners are quite possibl=
y=20
some of the most helpful and interesting people I've ever met.  I once had a=
=20
Spider owner pull up next to me and invite me to dinner to talk Alfas.  Neve=
r=20
happened in the Toyota!

But back to the situation at hand.  I found a decent beater with low mileage=
=20
that met all the criteria above: an '85 MR2.  Not much usable space, but so=20
far, it always works and works well.  In fact, it's several seconds quicker=20
per lap at the Streets of Willow than my Verde!=20

Yep, I still have my Verde, but like Ted, I plan on selling it soon--need to=
=20
make room for another Alfa.  So congratulations on your recent graduation,=20
Ted.  Hopefully soon you'll be making enough cash to have a stable of Alfas.

Cheers,
Rob Poetsch

89 Verde
85 MR2