Re: Hoist on my own petard

>You'll need 220V service and a reinforced 5-sack concrete slab at
>least four inches thick.  A quality two-post lift will cost around
>$3000, including installation.

Even though Alfas are light, I would suggest nothing leaner than 6 sack
concrete for a slab, poured no less than 5" thick for a shop slab. Best way
to reinforce is with #3 rebar each way at maximum 12" on center, at a
minimum use 6x6x6x6 (highway) wire mesh. Put a sheet of 6 mil visquene on
top of the (minimum 6" thick) layer of compacted gravel you put down under
the slab--it improves the cure of the concrete as well as controlling
ground moisture.

Don't know where you live, but you might look into casting P-pex plastic
tubing (with the oxygen barrier) into the slab for hydronic radiant heat in
the shop in cold weather if you live in a cold climate. This can make it
incredibly pleasant to work under things, even in the nastiest weather.

If you want a really hard surface slab, look into a surface hardener such
as Master Builders "Lumi-Plate" for the slab this will give a surface four
to eight times harder than just the concrete, and will prevent any
"dusting". Use of a curing compound on the fresh slab, and then a sealer
are also highly recommended.

As is 3 phase power, if at all practical! :-)

Regards, Greg