Re: alfa-digest V7 #1245, welder choices-Alfa Bill

Alfa Bill,  I'm new to the welding process too and let me give you the angle
I took.  I looked at many welders and ended up buying a MIG from Sears.  It
has the gas shield hookup included and power wise is more than enough for
body work.  I have been going more and more toward the Craftsman choice on
tools for several reasons.
First price.  If you join the Craftsman Club which is free and as simple as
filling out a form available from Sears. You get advanced notice of sales and
great Craftsman Club Sales that run 10-30% off normal price.  You also  often
get package deals on large items like welders or compressors with the
starting tools often added in.   The tools carry the Craftsman label but  the
fellows in the store will look up a particular tool in their book and tell
you the actual manufacturer of the tool.  My MIG was made by Century.  I paid
230.00 new with all the discounts-I simply waited until the item was on a
normal sale and  then when it overlapped with the Craftsman Club sale and got
both discounts.    And unlike other large tool/hardware stores, when you need
a part or something is missing or not functioning properly, they simply
replace the entire tool-with no hassle.   Lincoln and Miller are great tools
and the 'Snap On' of welders.  But Snap On no longer carries a lifetime
guarrantee.  Repairs on some of the better brands and finding a dealer/repair
center is not the way I want to spend my time.   Of course if you run across
a super used Lincoln in a garage sale or something  that's another thing.
Happy welding, my first attempt looked like metal leprosy.  I fogot to turn
on the Argon/CO2 gas but made neat sputtering noises!
Tim Malaney
St. Louis
67 Duettos

End of alfa-digest V7 #1247