Re: alfa-digest V7 #1245 - Alfa Red

    Early Alfas used an orange/red called signal red.  My 82 spider was the
orange / red and the trunk plate says #514 Rosso.  My dark red 91 spider is,
I believe #530 (I just walked out to the garage to check and realized it is
at a friend's warehouse this week).  Too many Alfas, not enough garage (you
listening Bruce?).
    The bumpers are aluminum beams skinned with plastic.  Remove the bumpers
and the shock absorber mounts.  The skins are attached with screws in the
back and pop rivets.  Remove the skins, sand and paint any color you want.
Mix a bit of flex agent with the paint for the bumpers.  Reattach with the
screws and some BIG pop rivets.  There is some foam filler between the
plastic covers and the aluminum.
    I did this on my 84 race car.  I wanted the bumpers and the nose painted
to match the body.  I really like it as it looks like the later model 91
spider.  I never did like the big black nose in the center of the 83 to 90
front bumpers. However, I did not dislike them enough to keep me from buying
two of them.
Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City

In a message dated 12/28/1999 12:14:48 AM Central Standard Time,